Trip Planner

Items Collected: 0

Plans Created: 0

Search Attractions

Destination : Category : Sub-Category : Keywords :
Phra Ram Ratchaniwet
Phra Ram Ratchaniwet


Operating day:


Operating time: 08.30 - 16.00

Contact Details

    - -

    Khlong Krachaeng, Amphoe Mueang, Phetchaburi

    Tel. +66 3242 8506

    Send Inquiry

Category : Royal Palace, Historical Houses

Attraction Details :

Phra Ram Ratchaniwet, or Ban Puen Palace (Wang Ban Puen), was built during the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) who requested for a European-style palace to be his residence during the rainy season. Being built according to the European architectural pattern, the palace is considered one of the beautiful attractions in Thailand.

Wang Ban Puen is located on the west of Petchaburi River in Ban Puen Sub District, Mueng District, Petchaburi Province. King Chulachomklao assigned Admiral Prince Boriphat of Nakhonsawan, the Navy Commander in Chief, and Prince Damrong Rajanubhab (his rank at the time) to supervise the construction of the palace, roads and other buildings. The king also assigned Phraya Surinruechai as the responsible person for payment order and inspection of the construction. In addition, Mr.Karl Deurring was chosen to carry out the architectural drawing according to his royal intention, Dr. Bayer as the head construction engineer, and Mr. Klüser as the contractor. The ground floor of the palace is comprised of the Waiting Room, the Central Hall, the Dining Room, the Kitchen and the Tasting Room. The rooms on the top floors are the Grand Bedroom, the Queen’s Bedroom, the Prince’s Bedroom and the King’s Studio.

King Chulachomklao proceeded to place the palace’s foundation stone on August 19, 1910. However, the King passed away shortly after the construction had started. King Chulalongkorn therefore had the construction carried on and completed in 1916, which totaled a period of seven years. The ceremony to celebrate the new palace was held on June 13, 1918.  

Walking around the palace area, the beautiful design in modern European style can be observed. The front of palace faces the south, or the eastside of Petchaburi River which is located 50 metres away. The roof is made from imported brown tiles like those of the palace of Kaiser Wilhelm of the German Empire. The rooftop has two layers; one for the balcony and another for the whole palace. The exterior of the palace is simple but the elegance of the building and the splendor of motifs on doors and windows are highlighted.

Once in the building, admire the large circle hall with the remarkable European dome roof. There are staircases on the left and on the right, where the statues of King Chulachomklao and King Chulalongkorn are situated. Most rooms on the top floor have wood flooring. The rooms are bare halls and the wall is splendidly decorated with beautiful woodcraft. The windows are embellished with colorful stained glass in various patterns. At the middle of the hall on the ground floor, there is a path leading out to a small fountain garden which is located at the heart of the building. 

Phra Ram Ratchaniwet is open daily from 8.00-16.00. Admission fee is 20 baht for adults, 10 baht for children, 5 baht for students wearing uniforms and 50 baht for foreigners. For group visitors and a tour guide, please submit a request to the Commander in Chief of Petchaburi Province at Ram Ratchaniet Camp, Mueng District, Petchaburi Province, 76000. Call 0-3242-8506-10 ext. 259.  

Add to Travel Planner
Submit inquiries and request for more information for this Tour Operator:
Name :
E-Mail :
Country :
Message :
  Send me a copy of this message

The closest destination to this result :

See & Do in Phetchaburi :